Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lemon cake


Like with most recipes I post here, the idea of this lemon cake had been simmering in my mind for a couple of weeks. I felt like trying a cake not to sweet, not to dense, and with a bit of acid. Lemon started to sound perfect. So after some consideration I took a recipe, that a colleague from language school gave me, of banana cake and simply replaced the bananas with lemon zest and juice. The reason I did this was that this recipe is very easy to make. And yes I´m that lazy.

The measures for this cake are in cups and spoons so I did´t have to take my scale out of the cabinet. Also, it gave me the perfect excuse to use for the first time the measuring cups I got from West elm and my measuring spoons. About those wonderful kitchen crashes I'll be talking about in the near future, but I can predict an addiction developing.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cup butter
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk
zest and juice of 2 lemons

Pre-heat the oven at 180.C

Mix together the flour, the baking powder and the baking soda.
Cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Add the milk and mix well.
slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
Add the lemon zest and juice and mix.
Goes to the oven about 30 min. Less for the muffins.

Because my boyfriend is, well, a bit "picky" I´m getting used to not covering the cakes, but instead making some cream that we can add on the side. I saw a strawberry butter frosting picture on Pinterest (you won´t find it on my boards and you'll know why in a sec.) and got curious about it. Unfortunately, either I didn't follow the recipe well enough, which wouldn't surprise me, or it just doesn't taste as good as it looks. But it was made of butter, sugar and a spoon of strawberry jam. So, to try and save that disgusting cream, I whipped some heavy cream and mixed it with the strawberry butter frosting in a proportion of 50/50. And now that was delicious!











Goes wonderfully with a glass of milk...enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...