Wednesday, April 24, 2013

House and Home : Windows, Blinds & Shutters


Looking through my Pinterest images, I am clearly drawn to fabulous windows - who isn't?
The bigger the better....a room flooded with light and/or an amazing view.
Huge windows are something of a dream item for me, top of my would-love-to-have-one-day items.


Living in a city as I do though, curtains, blinds & shutters are essential....
most homes are overlooked by neighbours.
London streets are fairly narrow and houses close together....
living without window treatments is not really an option.

One of my current projects is work on my in-laws old home which we now own....
the small 1950s kitchen is to be extended sideways & out in order to create a large open kitchen plus a family living space.
We have to decide on windows - how many, where, what size and how to dress them?

A friend I visited recently - who has also extended her home - has the most fantastic row of Velux windows to which she had added beautiful navy blue blinds.
Stylish and perfect for creating privacy from her neighbours and from the sun....
on those rare sunny days in London ;) 

With house prices still being ridiculously high and seemingly set to stay that way,
so many of my friends now have loft extensions, the best (and often only way) in London to gain more space is to go upwards.

They've created new bedroom space, an office space or even a self-contained apartment.

neat, functional, modern - and great use of blinds

Many of the homes in Muswell Hill, where I live, are either Victorian or were built in the 1930s, lots of old sash windows which lend themselves beautifully to shutters or blinds.

   



My children's rooms have both blinds & curtains, a look I which really like....
those above and below are available online....
Web-blinds have a fabulous selection of shutters and blinds, including perfect fit blinds.

Hillarys are currently running a "Pin To Win" competition - 
just click here to choose which pin represents your personal style.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...