Friday, May 25, 2012

Strawberry Jam


I hate buying food when I know I can make it better! And last month I found out that I can make strawberry jam.

I had some strawberries about to go bad, just 8 or 9 of them. They were already a bit to mushy for my taste so I didn't want to eat them, but I also didn't want to throw them away. So I decided to try making a jam... Yes, with only a few strawberries, and my first attempt on jams. I knew that it involved the fruit and sugar, wasn't sure about anything else. So without even measuring things I threw strawberries and sugar into a sauce pan and turned on the heat. I also added some lemon juice because, I think, I read somewhere (probably pinterest) about it. Then I run quickly to my computer and "googled" a recipe. It didn't say much more but it said to add balsamic vinegar. I'm all for balsamic vinegar so I followed the advise. Again, nothing was measured. I let the thing cook up to a point that seemed right (when you scratch the bottom of the pan and it goes "scretchhhh"). Poured the jam on a small bowl, covered it and stuck it in the fridge. And then.... completely ignored it for almost two weeks. 

At first I was afraid of trying it, and then just forgot about it. Then one wonderful day I was "browsing" the fridge, in search of something to put on my toasts with cottage cheese and I saw the little abandoned bowl. It seemed like it was time to try it. On my first bite I felt my world going upside down... It was SO MUCH better than any other jam I had ever tried. I didn't use to much sugar, and was sort of generous with the lemon and balsamic, so the jam was perfect for my taste, slightly acidic... oh I can't describe it, it was just absolutely delicious. 

Of course then I felt stupid for not having tried that before. And I made an oath to never again buy jams at the supermarket. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...