Thursday, June 27, 2013

A House Project....A Grand Design


Some of you who read my blog might know that I've been thinking about moving house pretty much since I started writing my blog....four years ago!!
It hasn't happened yet :)

We have plenty of room where we live & I love our current location....
but moving home seems now to have become number one on our to-do list, I've noticed we're all talking about it more, dreaming of what we could do etc.
My children are getting bigger, when we moved here we had one toddler & inevitably - even with my de-cluttering obsession - we have acquired a lot of "stuff".
I'd love more outside space & an extra room (or two)....

The option that looks most likely at the moment is moving into the house that used to belong to my in-laws....it's a house that that they lived in for almost forty years so there is a lot of sentiment attached to the house, as well as a lot of potential.

I must have watched every episode of "Grand Designs" & other assorted home improvement/ house building programmes....
I've admired the amazing design ideas, seen the stress of the actual building process & then marvelled at the end result.

It's very unusual in London to build your own home from scratch, there simply isn't the space or the land....
and with property prices having been sky high in London for some time now, adding loft space or an extension is very popular.

Both of these are possibilities for us....
one option would be to do a small amount of work, maybe paint the rooms & keep it fairly simple or the other option is to add both a loft & an extension - the house is in need of both.
And the garden is huge, definitely lots of potential there.

The second option makes more sense....but it's a big project!

My Pinterest boards are full of ideas....
top of my wish-list is, as a starting point, to simply to create a blank canvas,
 strip the house back to floorboards & white walls in order to move forward & see all the possibilities.
The more I read, the more I see, the more homes I view online & on TV, the bigger the possibilities seem & the more inspired I am....

Increation is the most beautiful bespoke interior design company, you must take a look at their work....their kitchens are the stuff of my husband's dreams!

So much to think about....it's daunting, exciting, challenging, terrifying, you name it!
I do love the thought of giving new life to an old home though....
it's already had many happy family times and we will be able to give it more.

I think that's something that we will need to keep in mind if & when we begin this project, we're not there yet but it's getting nearer....I will keep you posted :).
   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...