Saturday, November 3, 2012

Baked (NOT) Doughnuts


I've been craving for a doughnut for a long time now. Unfortunately  that has proven to be a wish difficult to fulfil in this small town where I live. It's difficult to find a doughnut to start with, and when I do find one it is covered with chocolate or some other weird stuff, and I really only like simple doughnuts. So I turned my attention to some wonderful pictures on Pinterest that claimed to be of baked doughnuts. However, after actually reading a couple of recipes I lost all hopes of getting a real doughnut out of those recipes, but decided to try it anyway  and hope for the best. 

I picked up this recipe from 101 Cookbooks, because I'm a fan of the site. The instructions are very good, and much better than what I can write in English, so I decided to only post here the ingredients and some pictures to make it easier for my readers to decide if it's something they would be interested in. For more details please click the link above.

for the dough:

1 1/3 cups warm milk
1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
A pinch or two of nutmeg, freshly grated
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt


to cover:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon

As I saw them getting shape and colour inside the oven, I knew I was not having doughnuts that evening. However, just like some "Ugly Ducklings" these...things, maybe bagels, I'm not sure what to call them (in Portuguese: qualquer coisa como um pão-de-leite adocicado)... are absolutely delicious in their own way. I decided to make a quick glazing (just water and confectioners sugar mixed until it has the right consistency) and it tasted wonderfully. Keep in mind that they should be eaten in the same day, they get hard and massive otherwise. And next time I won't bother shaping them as a doughnut. Small buns will be much easier to shape and I can cut them in half and have them with jam and cheese...yummy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...