Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chocolate "Brigadeiros"


Brigadeiros is the Portuguese name for a delicious chocolate treat similar to truffles. It's very easy to make and it's heavenly good. The recipe I'm posting here was adapted by my father to perfection and It was actually the first thing I ever cooked. When I was younger I hated eating, cooking and everything about food, with very few exceptions... being one of them chocolate (obviously). So before I even knew how to fry an egg, and having my brother as my helper to turn on the stove... because yes, I was that helpless in a kitchen... I could make Brigadeiros.

1 can condensed milk
2 table spoons butter, not very full (real butter, not margarine or such) 
2 table spoons cocoa powder
2 table spoons chocolate powder
chocolate sprinkles for decoration

You start by melting the butter. 
Add the chocolate and the cocoa powder and mix very well to avoid lumps. 
Then start adding the condensed milk. hold the can over the pot and let it drip slowly but constantly while mixing the batter vigorously.
Never stop whisking and let it come to a point of starting to boil and then lower the heat. 
It's ready when the mixture thickens and you can leave a trail on the bottom of the pan with the whisk or spoon. 
Pour the batter on a pre-greased plate or tray , let it cool to room temperature and then put it in the fridge for 2 or 3 hours. 
Then all you have to do is shape the batter into balls (the size depends on your gluttony) and roll them on a bowl with the chocolate sprinkles. 
I didn't have enough sprinkles for all of it so I used some of the powder chocolate too. It works but can't go back to the fridge, because the chocolate gets all gooey.
And they are better served at room temperature even though some people prefer them right out of the fridge.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...