Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Pie


Last week my friend Linda was picking some apples and saying that she wanted to make an apple pie. So I promised her to put on the blog the recipe of the only apple pie I actually like. Until I was maybe 20 or 21 years old I hated apple pie. The problem was, I didn't like the thick, soft, gooey layer of apple. Then my sister gave me this recipe which has a very thin layer of apple and, as a bonus, it has a topping made of butter and sugar caramelized, and now I love apple pie...well, this one at least. And now that I think of it, this was the first baked desert I made. It's simple and quick and anyone with no experience in baking can do it.


dough:
250g flour
125g butter
1 egg

topping:
125g sugar
125g butter

3 or 4 apples

Mix all the ingredients for the dough and let it rest for 20 min. Pre-heat the oven at 180.C. Cover a deep-dish pie plate (coated with cooking spray or butter and flour) with a thin layer of dough (just enough so it won't break) leaving a slightly elevated border all around. Cut the apples in very thin slices (and when I say thin I mean really thin) and cover the base of the pie placing them like an open fan. For the topping, melt the sugar and the butter in a sauce pan and pour it over the entire pie. Goes to the oven for 30 min. 

I love to make a small change and add grated gruyère cheese on top of everything at around 15 min after being in the oven. But some people call me weird because of that... they really don't know what they are missing! The contrast between the sweet and the salty is divine. But for the more traditional approach just sprinkle some cinnamon on top, after the pie has cooled down, and serve with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...